Saturday, October 9, 2010

New Concept: Antecedent & Consequent

3). Pick one concept from either text, not already discussed, that you found useful or interesting and discuss it. Use either Chapter 6 or Chapter 7.

Affirming the Consequent
If (A) happened, then (B), so (A).  We must always consider the various factors of the consequent happening.  We cannot be narrow minded and only address one possibility.  For example: If I go to the gym, then I will be drained for the day.  So since I am now tired, I went to the gym.  Here, we are denying the possibility that I could have done something else that took away my energy like going to work or running errands all day.

Denying the Antecedent
If A happened, then (B).  So, if (A) did not happen, then (B) did not happen.  Once again, we are overlooking possibilities and other factors to causes of situations.  For example:  If I go to the gym, then I will be drained for the day. / I am not drained today, so I did not go to the gym.  There is the possibility that I did not work hard enough at the gym to drain my energy or even the case that I drank an energy drink or even maybe going to the gym gave my energy.  There are many things we need to consider and not entirely overlook.



No comments:

Post a Comment