Friday, September 3, 2010

Vague / Ambiguous Sentence

Use an example from everyday life: Describe a vague sentence or ambiguous sentence you have heard recently. Where did you hear this sentence? An advertisement? Was it a conversation with a friend? What qualified the sentence as vague or ambiguous?


A Vague or Ambiguous sentence is a sentence that is not a precise or clear.  This type of sentence can have various meanings to it and not give much detail and create some confusion or uncertainty.


I was working at my retail job today, Metropark, and I am one of the style consultants (aka sales associate).  At one point, I was at the fitting rooms and my lead asked me "Do you want to do sales?"  And I said "yes".  So, I thought as I was in charge of the sales floor and making sure all of the customers were attended to and helped.  Then, my lead directs me to our sales section and says "Remember, I told you to work on the sales".  Then it became clear to me that he meant that I had to maintain and keep everything organized in the sales section.  This conversation I had with my lead qualifies as a vague/ambiguous sentence because my lead was not clear that he was talking about the sales section while I thought he meant to work the sales floor.


-Diamondkillr

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you give the example for the vague statement, it shows that we have encounter this kind of statement all the time in our daily life. Most of the time when people talk, they do not realize that they are giving our vague statements. At the same time, people always expect others to understand what they said exactly without thinking that they do not give enough information. This might be the reason why many people have misunderstand things from commercials and news all the time. However, I think that in the modern day people are use to the vague statements due to things around us that are constantly changing. One cannot be sure of what will happen exactly 2 months from now. So when we are ask to do tings, we all give a vague answer like "maybe." Like in the commercials, there are a lot of vague sentences. The vague statements allow the speaker to have more room and don't have to be strict about what they said.

    ReplyDelete